Well we tech geeks sure love tech stuff and gadgets and me specially love mobile devices, smart phones. Unfortunately technology always evolves and we put our eyes to the new fancy devices. What happens to the old ones? well they are not so old to throw away, but not so fancy to sell either, they just dust in a corner with a dying battery. Besides not being old throwing away a mobile phone or any new techy device is harmful to the nature as you may not now. I decided to do something with my old toys and gone for the best thing recycling them.
I knew there were couple of websites around for this job but I never used them and I did not like the idea of check. I was looking for decent money and bank transfers then I came across cash for phones website. You know the system, you simply type in phone make/model, state your condition, they state your price and that is it basically. They send you all the information with a special envelope to send back your phone (do not forget to delete all your personal information beforehand) once you send your phone and if it is in the promised shape viola money is in your bank account.
You can do something for the environment, world resources with your dusty mobile phones and make a decent money to spend on yourself
I guess every iPhone user came across to this, bad signal strength in some areas. US users are less fortunate because as I know from my friends AT&T coverage really sucks in the US. Plus I don't think iPhone has good quality signal elements like celluar and wifi. My Nokia seems to be doing a far more better job when it comes to getting celluar and wifi signals.
As I was sick of just using the iPod feature on the phone even when I was just entered the tube station(!) and seeing other people not even texting but talking on the phone in the tube! It just makes you want to throw the phone away when you need to finalize a meeting via sms or a call. After a quick googling around I came across to these 5 useful tips,
Bad iPhone Signal Strength? Watch how you’re holding it and 5 more tips. I really did not know they put the antenna at the bottom of the iPhone, where I usually hold it as a palm device.
First tip of holding the device like some kinda dirty underwear - well that pic really made me feel like that - made the trick for me in tube stations. Although still no signal in the tube. Rest was not a problem in UK or in my case at least. Last tip; taking your phone to airplane mode and back really triggers some signal search.
As DevTeam expressed, Apple's work on disabling jailbreaking taking effect. With the new (just bs release imo) release you may lose your jailbreaking and sim unlock "privileges" if you update your phone directly via iTunes using official Apple firmware. This rule includes 3G phones, you are advised to use custom firmware's made by pwnage tool. Pwnage tool works on mac as u know, there is no official windows version. They will release when they have time. As with 3GS and other new gen IPOD Touhes, you are advised to be patient and wait if you want to jailbreak your phone in near future or use another sim card. Of course SIM rules does not apply to SIM FREE iphones.
Well many of you may realize that you don't get any push messages in IM or other applications even though you have OS 3.0 and push supported apps running. The problem occurs in hacktivated phones, translation, you bought your phone with contract, depending on one operator's sim card and you activated the phone via jailbreak not from itunes.
Solution is simple, use your legit sim card (at&t, 02, vodafone etc) to activate your phone and then ultrasn0w it and use your other sim card. You can use any of your friends legit sim card as well. Just activate the phone with a legit sim card then do your stuff. Works like a charm
I know this will sound funny after I have complained Appletards not fixing the sms exploit BUT Downloading whole 3.0.1, restoring then Jailbreaking with 3.0 and performing cydia upgrades, then personalizing the phone, adding applications all over, customizing ringtones and music is too much hassle for me to do for two phones now. I mean who is going to send 500 text messages to me to crash my stupid phones, I barely use them and only my close friends have my new numbers plus I don't have that much of a jerk friends or enemies. So until a worth for it update, it is a pass from lazy me.
PS: Title is not a challange it is an actual question
You know the previous post, by the way they been warned a month ago not 6 days. Google (Android) and Microsoft (Windows Mobile) phones were affected as well but they patched this very quickly after the exploit warning. Well finally Appletards released the 3.0.1 patch early after their phone hijacked and crashed like live on tv news
What you need to do for Jailbreaking Iphone OS 3.0.1 is:
- Have a copy of 3.0 firmware downloaded on your pc for your device (I bet you do already because of 3.0 jailbreak)
- Connect your jailbroken device iTunes and update to 3.0.1
- Launch Redsn0w and choose the 3.0 firmware for jailbreak instead of 3.0.1
- Follow the Redsn0w steps normally.
Well it works because nothing changed from OS 3.0 except the SMS patch, but can cause trouble in the future so I suggest you guys should (and that is what I am going to do) wait for an official Redsn0w release for 3.0.1 from dev team or an announcement at least to go on. Although they say no difference in the OS (Yeah we need to download whole OS just to fix something, how lame is that!) I don't trust them because Appletards wants to make jailbreaking illegal and impossible with 3.x firmware releases. and Dev Team announced the same thing adding that you can Jailbreak with this method safely.
Unlocking Iphone is still same steps I described and via ultrasn0w. Works with 3GS also.
And finally it happened, Charlie Miller will release an exploit today about how to hack an iphone with simply sending SMS to the victim and resulting in full control of the victim's phone. Coolest part is that he warned the Apple about this security exploit like 6 weeks ago and of course Apple did nothing Left millions of people in vulnerability while kept on selling how to divide 50 dollar bill into 5 applications.
Protection ( haha funny!)
- Remove the permissions of SMS application via SSH so you can't send/receive SMS
- Take your phone into Airplane mode
- Shutdown your phone
Details are listed here. Of course I believe Iphone Dev Team will be faster than appletards and release a patch soon. I wonder what appletards gonna whine about when Jailbreaking saves their useless asses.
Since I have been using my SIP and VoIP integrated Nokia my sister got jealous and wanted to use (my old) her new iphone as an internet phone as well. I have installed Fringe for SIP and Skype just to face that you can only use them if you are connected to WiFi.. well that sucks!
As you all know by now, Fring has made it’s way onto the AppStore two days ago. The big limitation that most of us found out is that it’s main functions of interest that made it stand out of the crowd, it’s VOIP capabilities, could only be accessed using Wifi. Most operators would very much prefer not giving the opportunity to its users to get a hand on VOIP Apps over their network. Why? They might lose money.
Well sorry for them since there’s now a way to Patch Fring so it can be used over the 3G or EDGE networks that’s been explained in detail on Fring’s message board.
His way will not work and SSH way is tooo long.
So here is my way.
- Download the patched Fring from http://www.iphonetechzone.com/2008/10/a-patch-released-to-use-fring-over-3g-networks/
- Have or Install AppSync 3.0 for iphone OS 3.0
- Sync with iTunes
you are set to go Well of course quality and delay depends on your network speed. In my test over vodafone 3G UK network with Iphone 3G, I had received good results with skype.. Not much delay or noise at all, and btw I live in a crappy reception zone.
This is actually my response to a yahoo answers question.
I just got my Nokia n97 and as an Iphone 2G and 3G user. I wanna go over some aspects.
N97 is new and not many applications and games developed for it yet but it already has large list of existing symbian applications. It has free download application already and Ovi store. Filled with some nice apps already in 1 week time. Compared to the appstore which happened 1 year later (copy catting the installer - jailbreak / hack - idea ) and 1 year old. Do not expect dumb applications such as bill divider or metro maps, Nokia will say you have a mind and calculator. Iphone users are mainly dumb - me too - it spend 1 years before you can even use a IM application on it. Iphone came to this point in 2.4 years while Nokia - Symbian phones did everything for years.
As a user development part should interest you also, why? Because apple sells the Iphone SDK and training, meaning you need to pay apple in order to develop some application or game for it! While symbian is open and used for years. Anybody can do anything with it, if they set their mind to it. If you really want touch and view experience I suggest you to wait 2 more weeks and get the HTC Hero Phone. It is bringing the Android OS - developed by Google for Mobile Devices - which beats the crap out of Iphone experience. In couple years Android and Andro Phones will grow much more than Iphone closed SDK.
Touch screen is pretty accurate. You can touch with anything unlike iphone you are suppose to touch with your bare skin. Comes with its special pen, which is pretty good in handwriting. Makes writing a lot faster. Supports double clicking. Sliding, scrolling is not as fancy and smooth as Iphone. You are suppose to point click and scroll like in PC environment, not with the whole screen. N97 keyboard is nice and enough spaced to let you write fastly. Symbols and numbering options are not user friendly as IPhone's though.
Finally it made it through. Agile is on the way also
With widest support of IM networks including Skype™ chat and even Twitter and coming Push there's absolutely no need to look elsewhere.
Get the most reliable and feature-rich instant messenger.
• New! Twitter
• New! Skype™ Chat
• Facebook® Chat
• AIM® / iChat / MobileMe®
• MSN® / Windows Live®
• Google™ Talk
Sygic GPS navigation software turns your iPhone into a real-time, turn-by-turn voice guided navigation system.
Crystal-clear animated 3D maps, fast and intuitive address search, precise route calculation, lane assistant, signpost information, notifications about upcoming petrol stations and restaurants – Sygic Mobile Maps 2009 for iPhone - is featuring all of these innovations to guide you precisely to your destination.
All maps included
The package includes the latest maps from Whereis, the leading map provider. There are no monthly fees or hidden charges.
Smooth real-time guidance Since all maps are on your device, there is no need to download data from a cellular network. The navigation is smooth and free of any interruptions.
Dev Team did it again and released the ultrasn0w today finally. Here is simple steps to unlock your iphone and use with any sim card freely.
- Ensure you have upgraded to iPhone OS 3.0
- Jailbreak your iPhone 3G using redsn0w or PwnageTool (this will also install Cydia/Icy)
- Run Cydia or Icy
- Please add the repo repo666.ultrasn0w.com to Cydia or Icy. That last “o” is actually the number zero “0”! If you use the letter “o” you’ll get an error.
- Search for ‘ultrasn0w’ in cydia or icy and install ultrasn0w
- Reboot your iPhone 3G
- T-Mobile USA users should disable 3G before using ultrasn0w
Details can be found on the Dev Team Blog
NAVIGON is introducing the first professional navigation solution for the iPhone!
Turn your iPhone into a first-rate navigation system with MobileNavigator. Try the feature for yourself and enjoy the excellent user control and superior design that allow simple and intuitive operating. The application includes the latest map material from the market leader NAVTEQ and can be used without an Internet connection, which is of enormous benefit abroad, for example, as no extra charges are incurred. With MobileNavigator you can turn your iPhone into an equally handy and convenient route guidance system.
Features and range of functions:
- 2D and 3D map displays
- Can be used in portrait and landscape format
- Precise voice announcements
- Intelligent address entry
- Reality View Pro (realistic display of motorway interchanges and exits)
- Lane Assistant Pro
- Real signpost display
- Speed Assistant with adjustable audio-visual warning
- Day and night mode for map display
- Direct access and navigation to contacts saved in the iPhone's address book
- The latest NAVTEQ map material including more than two million (EU version) places of interest (POIs)
- Navigation is automatically resumed after an incoming phone call
- Quick access to user-defined POIs in the area and along the route
- Take Me Home function with a single click
- Automatic language selection to match the iPhone's user language
Many of you guys are having problems during installation of installous. Although hackulo.us Repository is overloaded and causing errors, cydia is having problems also in iPhone OS 3.0. If you are receiving errors like below
- size mismatch ....
- Hash Sum ....
- iphoneguide.nl ...
- Cannot find executable
You can install Icy and continue installation from there. Icy is another application works like cydia but faster and more lightweight compared to cydia. Here are the steps to install Icy then Installous on the Iphone OS 3.0
- Launch Cydia
- Go to "Manage" then tap "Sources"
- Tap "Edit"
- Tap "Add"
- Type in http://apt.ripdev.com and Tap "Add Source"
- Search and Install "Icy"
- Go to Home screen and Launch "Icy"
- Tap "Sources" at the bottom
- Again Tap "Edit" then "Add"
- Type in http://cydia.hackulo.us and Tap "Add"
- Tap "Refresh" on top left
- Go to "Categories"
- Search for "Installous" and Install it
Lots of you already know about xGPS but this post is for newbies. xGPS is the "currently" only "not apple supported" navigation solution for Iphone. As usual of crappy apple, device has GPS and google maps but no navigation!! And does not work without internet connection! What is the point of having a GPS in the device some really wonders.
Anyhow Tomtom is making a satnav application for Iphone but of course like Adobe making flash player, it is still making... and still will be making I guess. Plus you will need to buy Tomtom deck and software inorder to use it.
Fortunately we have xGPS. Lets go with the xGPS in short bullet features.
- You need a jailbroken phone to use it
- It is FREE!
- It supports offline usage also meaning you do not need to be connected to the internet
- It is pretty accurate ( not as much as commercial SatNavs cos apple's internal GPS sucks like all of its features)
- You can also use it with external Iphone GPS mods and casings.
- You can download maps from google, meaning you are uptodate with free updates and do not need any map packs.
- Supports routing, rerouting, zooming, searching, history
- Provides graphical interface with voice instructions (only in english I guess)
- It also comes with a manager so you can download and manage maps from your pc to iphone wirelessly.
- Track your positions and create roadmaps
- It is just great for you in an unknown city
There are minor changes to installous on iphone 3.0. Follow the steps below as usual to get the installous up and running from cydia. You need a jailbreaked iphone and cydia of course. If you do not know what are they well google is your friend.
- Open Cydia, tap on "Manage" at the bottom
- Tap on "Sources"
- Tap on "Edit" on top right then tap on "Add" on top left
- Type in http://cydia.hackulo.us Cydia will warn you about copyright information just tap ok
- hackuolo.us repository is very crowded and they lack donations so it is down very ofthen. You may try the new brotherhood project repository http://cydia.install0us.com/. That is a ZERO not an O
- hackuolo.us repository is very crowded and they lack donations so it is down very ofthen. You may try the new brotherhood project repository http://cydia.install0us.com/. That is a ZERO not an O
- Wait for repo to be added and updated.
- From search or hackulo.us repo directory
- Install Appsync for OS 3.0 do not install miPatch on os 3.0! If you do not download then sync cracked apps from PC/MAC/iTunes you may skip this step.
- Install Installous
- Restart your phone
- Launch installous and have free fun.
Thats it, simple tap steps.
Appsync will allow you to sync the hacked apps through itunes, otherwise it will give out invalid application signature error.
For downloading from PC and syncing your apps with iTunes use www.appulo.us
Appulous is a free iTunes App Store in short created by people by sharing their applications from all over the world.
If you experience any problems during the installation or application installation steps, you may try this checklist.
- Perform update on all cydia related packages. It will ask you to update first, do not skip it and update.
- Do not forget to restart your phone
- Install a free application from app store like "facebook" before installing applications from installous
- First select download, wait for it to finish (100% complete) then tap "Downloads" section and install. If you do not see your app in that directory, then it is not complete yet. Double tapping on download may corrupt your downloaded file.
- Make sure the file you are downloading works fine. Sometimes cracked apps may fail, so try another application or package to make sure everything works fine before searching for help.
- If you encounter problems during application installation like package or executable not found etc make sure the following packages exists in your cydia, if not install them or re-install them to make sure everything is solid and packages are not corrupt. Installouse is dependent on these sub package libraries.
- Erica Utilities
- core utils
- Darwin CC Tools
- UUID Generator
- Curl (not sure if it was listed on packages but installous dependent)
If you still can not manage to solve your problem, drop a comment below including your problem. Me or someone else will try to help you for sure.
FAQ from Jackian about installous & install0us
Ok first of all a short summary of the whole thing, then some more in detail questions and answers
One day a developer named puy0 started work on a project called Installous 1.0, he was a part of Hackulous and was releasing it with support from Hackulous. This 1.0 version did nothing but install .ipa's you'd placed in its folder. And then before we know it along comes version 2.0, it allowed downloading from Appulous and then installing it directly on your device.
Now there was a big long wait time after version 2.0 while puy0 thought of what he could do in Installous 2.5 and 3. He finally began work on Installous 2.5. Now at this time there were lots of things going on among the staff. Eventually puy0 couldn't take the rivalry and arguments and split from Hackulous. He renamed Installous to Install0us and made his own site install0us.com http://install0us.com/
2.5 went into beta on his site, the testers were a mix of donators and handpicked well known community members (I was included). The new app was way better than 2.0 and soon it was released publicly. Then work began on version 3, Install0us 3 BETA1 really was a breakthrough. It had native searching for apps and an update notifier. Then along came BETA2. BETA2 was even more amazing, in the apps that you came to, people could make "plugins" that added little buttons to search for that app on other sites or in some cases go directly to it!
Ok Q&A time and also some app descriptions!
Great app that surfs Appulous and lets you easily download and install .ipa's
Where can I get it? From the official Hackulo.us cydia source, http://cydia.hackulo.us/
Complete rewrite of Installous with a completely different much better install method and also the ability to download multiple apps at the same time and select the site you wish to browse.
Where can I get it? From the official Install0us.com cydia source, install0us.com, http://cydia.install0us.com/
Install0us 3 BETA2
Supports "plugins" allowing you to on finding an update tap on a number of .ipa sites to search them for the update
puy0 decided to make Install0us 3 BETA2 available as a public beta for a limited time. Please note that if you are one of the people with the Christmas open BETA, it will auto expire soon.
Where can I get it? It's currently in BETA testing, if you're a tester login to http://install0us.com and read the Beta forum for instructions on getting it.
I heard about this Christmas BETA thing, what is it?
puy0 decided to make Install0us 3 BETA2 a public beta for a limited time at Christmas. Enjoy using it because it will self expire very soon!
HaHa! You're all silly! I have this awesome leaked BETA copy!
Guess what? On launching a leaked copy your UDID (Unique Device Identifier) is recorded and banned from using the public versions of Install0us 3 when it becomes available! Also that version will expire soon that you have so enjoy it.
So which should I get?
Completely up to you, Install0us is more up to date and offers more features, but Installous 2 is nice and easy to use so ideal for beginners.
Can I get both apps?
Sure, they won't conflict with each other so feel free to install both
Well like after two years crappy apple finally made copy/paste into this crappy rip off device just because nokia is about to hit its answer N97 to smart phones. US does not know how to produce mobile phones anyways, if apple was in another country it would starve to death ages ago. I used to hate Microsoft but they done and are doing so much for IT world than this posers. What kind of an company only advertises by throwing mud on competitor companies and products? And what kind of an commercial ethic that country has? Stop bitching and show us what you did instead! Mann, I really hate apple. Anyhow as my hatred towards apple and its rip off products, viva la jailbreak and open source programming.
The amazing iphone dev team did it again and jailbreaked the os 3.0 after 1 day of release nearly. You can find the details and pwnage tool in their offical website http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/126465561/trois-drei-h-rom. Ultrasn0w is on the way also which enables the software sim unlock for 3g phones. For windows users well you have tree choices.
- Download a custom build ipsw with pwnage tool and restore your iphone with it. You can find these at comments section and on some other websites via google by now.
- Use vmware and install mac OS then build your custom ipsw
- Wait for quickpwn release, which will be out by tomorrow morning.
- As of today quickpwn is still on the waiting list but iphone dev team provided a windows pwnage tool with the name Redsn0w for both windows and mac os.
Happy jailbreaking! and do not forget to buy the apps you like so they can keep on living.
MAC OS - PwnageTool 3.0
Iphone OS 3.0 Jailbreak and sim unlock for MAC OS via pwnagetool
Windows RedSn0w 0.7
Iphone OS 3.0 Jailbreak and sim unlock for Windows via RedSn0w
Quickpwn will be coming too. Winpwn was the greatest but he gave up on the releasing, he is now providing support for iphone 3G S as of today. Maybe he will release a 3.0 jailbreak tool soon also.